Pages

About Me

My photo
My name is Lucy and I have never blogged before. Well that's a lie. I have, but it was this one, and I neglected it for a little while... I live in a commuter town outside London having moved here about a year and a half ago after making some pretty big changes in my life. I share a beautiful little cottage on the Grand Union Canal with 1 crazy beautiful little girl and an equally crazy cat called Bandit (appropriately named as he now lives in all the houses on the street and steals...). Lawyer/working mum and it would appear, terminally single (I've reserved my spinster plaque already) I was fortunate to escape the evil commute about a year ago but seem to have less time than ever.... If I entertain you, make you laugh or fume (or make you have an emotion of ANY description) then my job is done. Enjoy x

Monday 2 April 2012

Pot-Age Patties

Bangers and mash.  Its proper British grub and everyone in my family loves it.  We've even converted the hubby.

Banger's are sausages.  I don't know why we call them "bangers" but this website provides quite an amusing explanation.  Strangely we also seem to call boobs bangers, in fact it was yelled at me the other day from some workmen.  "Oi luv!  You've got some great bangers!".  Yes, its every girl's dream being yelled at that she's got a good rack by the "panel" at a building site.  I have NO idea why boobs are also called bangers and I sincerely hope it bears no correlation with the sausage explanation.  Anyway...

My father looked after le Pose on Saturday night as hubby was off on a football training weekend (American not soccer) and I had been invited to an old friend's birthday party (literally known her my entire life from bump).  Just before I left he made their dinner - Bangers and mash - Posie's favourite.  Why is this important?  Simple, there was a ton of left over mashed potato and half a pack of uncooked sausages so I whipped up this little recipe...

The recipe - Pot-Age Patties with a Honey-Mustard Dressing (get it? Pot (potato) Age (sausage) well I liked it)

The patties:
5 medium sized potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little milk and butter
4 large pork sausages, casings removed leaving just the meat (you could also use store-bought sausage meat)
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
3 baby portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
1 egg
plain flour for dredging
olive oil for frying

The dressing:
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Bulldog Mustard (or other coarse grain mustard)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice


A salad of some description - I used a pre-bagged mix.


1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6.


2. Put all the ingredients for the patties in a bowl and mash together with a fork then get it good and combined with a wooden spoon (or your mitts).




3. Grab a handful of the mix and shape it into patties about an inch thick (this recipe makes about 12 patties).  Dredge the patties in the plain flour.




4. Heat some oil (I used olive oil - my mother's close friend lives on an olive grove in Tuscany so I have an enormous can of incredible olive oil from their grove) in a large (preferably non-stick) frying pan or flat griddle.  Cook until golden brown on each side (about 5mins) then transfer the patties onto a baking sheet and cook for another 20mins.


5. While the patties are in the oven make the dressing.  Simply put all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.


6. Artfully place some lettuce on a plate (artfully place lettuce on a plate?  Seriously Lucy?!), put a couple of patties on top and drizzle (yes drizzle) the dressing all over.

Ah yes, artful salad.
7. EAT!


This was really tasty for a fairly light lunch made for my dad whilst Pose was asleep.  The sausage wasn't too overpowering but gave all the seasoning you needed (although I am always happy to add more sausage - British sausages were one of the biggest things I missed when I lived in the US and was the hardest thing to get a hold of.  The other was strong cheddar cheese.  Yes, I'm a cheese and sausage girl apparently).  To make it more brunch/hangover friendly it would be great without the salad  but with a 3min poached egg on top (cook it longer by all means, I just like my eggs nice and runny).

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! They were good for a lunch but I will def be trying out the breakfast version!

      Delete